If you have to store your outdoor power equipment for several months, here is some information that will help you get off to a fast start.
If you plan to “mothball” your grass trimmer, brushcutter or leaf blower for a long period – say during the winter months – a few easy steps will help ensure that your equipment will be ready for action.
- To get the equipment ready for storage, clean it first. The air filter and the cylinder fins can be cleaned by gently brushing with an old toothbrush. Remove and examine the spark plug for excessive carbon build up. You may want to replace it once a year. Put two drops of two cycle oil into the cylinder and gently and slowly pull the starter cord to spread the oil on the inside of the cylinder. Replace the spark plug and carefully reconnect it to the ignition lead.
- Remove the cutting tool on your trimmer, clean out all the debris (see your Operating Manual).
- Examine the spark arresting screen. It is a small screen at the muffler exhaust that is usually fastened with a screw or clip. The screen must be cleaned with a wire brush or replaced with a new one.
- The fuel tank should be emptied of fuel mix. Start the engine and run it at idle until the engine stops. It is important that the engine is run at idle speed only, so there will be no lack of lubrication when the fuel mix dries up. Do not operate the throttle.
- For long term storage, a dry and, if possible, dust- and frost-free place would be ideal. You can save space if you hang the equipment from its built-in hanger.
- Fuel mix deteriorates and should not be kept over 30 days. If you need to dispose of fuel mix, please do so in a proper and responsible manner. (50:1 fuel mix can be used up in any gasoline engine without a catalytic converter, i.e. lawnmower, ATV or motorcycle) Remember that STIHL products use the same 50:1 fuel mix so the fuel you used for your trimmer will work in your blower or chain saw, while your trimmer is in storage.
Lanphear Supply, a division of the Forest City Tree Protection Co is an authorized Stihl power equipment dealer. As a Stihl MasterWrench Servicesm Certified Dealer, Lanphear Supply has an on-site service technician, Mike Verik, who is factory certified with the highest, GOLD LEVEL of training available from STIHL Incorporated.
For Stihl outdoor power equipment Sales & Service, call:
Toll Free: 1 – 800 – 332 – TREE (8733)
1884 South Green Road * South Euclid, OH 44121